I love to make this for the whole week. It goes really well with brown rice when you are on the WLC 🙂 As it says below, it makes a lot. If you’re like me and can eat the same thing for months, it makes a great lunch/dinner for the week.
Beanless chili recipe
- 3 quarts (2.8 liters) good quality canned tomatoes;
- 5 lbs ground beef;
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil;
- 6 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1 onion, finely chopped;
- 5 celery stalks, chopped;
- 5 carrots, chopped;
- 4 cups button mushrooms, chopped;
- 3 bay leaves;
- 3 thyme sprigs;
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- In a large skillet over a medium heat, cook the ground beef with some cooking fat if needed.
- In a very large saucepan over a medium heat, saute the garlic in olive oil. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms to the saucepan. Stir well and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the canned tomatoes, followed by the cooked ground beef. Stir well.
- Drop in the bay leaves, thyme and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 4 hours or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding salt or pepper, if needed and remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
Be aware, this recipe makes quite a large batch, but it’s great for freezing! You can simply pour individual portions in freezer-proof plastic bags and freeze it. Then, once you feel like having a good bowl of the delicious and comforting chili, you simply have to pull a portion out of the freezer.
2 Hang Snatch
11 Power Snatch (65/95)