ATTENTION CROSSFIT OXNARD:
Read this. It gets better as I go. I promise.
1) Per request, there will a 530 AM class at CrossFit Oxnard today. Let this be a reminder that the currently scheduled class times (click ‘SCHEDULES’ on the right) are simply what the current members require. As more people join and life takes us on our constantly varied, functionally moving, high intensity lives, I will add classes to accommodate anyone. As long as there are dedicated people that show up when they say they will, I will create a class time for it. That being said, if I show up at 330 AM and you don’t, GOD HELP YOU.
Lets break this down and get serious for a minute.
WHY WE NEED SLEEP
Everyone knows we should get 8 hours of sleep a night. Why? Perhaps I didnt work out that hard today, or at all, my body is good. I know I need rest, but really, WHY do I need it?
a) THE QUICK ANSWER: Lack of adequate sleep during recovery leads to a decrease in competitve ability, reduced determination, and lack of toloerance for intensity in training. It affects mood state, leads to a greater level of perceived fatigue, promotes depression, and can induce mild confusion. It can reduce the capacity of the physiological mechanisms that enable adaptation to the stress of training.
b) THE GEEK ANSWER: A number of physiological changes occur during sleep. Among them, hormonal secretion is perhaps the most important for recovery from physical exertion. An increase in anabolic (muscle-building) hormone concentrations and a decrease in catabolic (muscle-wasting) hormone concentrations and activity take place during the sleep cycle. Levels of the anabolic hormone testosterone begin to rise upon falling asleep, peak at about the time of REM, and remain at that level until awakening. Shorter durations of sleep limit the recovery of contributions of testosterone. Another anabolic hormone, somatotropin, or human growth hormone, has concentrations that begin to rise after deep sleep begins, leading to a sustained peak lasting 1.5 to 3.5 hours. A major function of growth hormone is the mitigation of the negative effects of the catabolic hormone cortisol. Therefore, a disruption or shortening of the sleep period will reduce the beneficial effects of these important anabolic hormones.
See? And you thought I was just another pretty face. Turns out I read books too (although I did giggle when I typed the word secretion).
2) THIS IS THE LAST DAY FOR FREE CROSSFIT OXNARD CLASSES. This sounds cheesy, but the whole reason I opened this gym is because CrossFit changed my life in so many ways. I would give this stuff away for life if I could. Unfortunately, I have to pay rent and afford the fabulous devices we get to use every day, so membership fees had to kick in sometime.
As always, we offer FREE intro classes every WED at 730pm and SAT at 11am. If you are in the Ventura area, head over to Thille Park on MON/WED at 1210pm for FREE Crossfit courses in the park. See www.thilleparkthrillers.com for more info. Coach Brandon geeks out on this kool aid more than anyone I know, he’ll never steer you wrong.
Seriously, everyone I have met during this period, you are AAHHMMAZING. There is no doubt in my mind I made the right decision in opening this gym. I’d let any one of you sleep with my sister (sorry sis, but thank you!).
3) The WoD for today will not be posted here. This is because I changed it at the last minute, and YOU made me do it. Reasoning behind this is as follows:
a) You are making me get up at 430am. Did you think there wouldnt be consequences?
b) My new espresso machine arrived, so I will manage. FREE mochas for the 530am class!
c) Since I am out of town for the weekend, this is the last FREE day for CrossFit Oxnard. I realize I am screwing you out of a free Saturday WoD, so I’ll make sure you get your fill.
d) The CPR gear arrived, so since you sign a waiver AND I can possibly revive you, the promise of not dying is off the table for tomorrow.
4) Because I am a kind man, a generous man, the person with the best PERFORMANCE (this does not equal best time) on Friday’s WoD will receive a bonus grab bag of various supplements to help you not suck.
5) Did I mention it was BEER FRIDAY?