We help people live active and socially connected lives. In a community of over 200,000 people, we are a chosen family.
We believe it’s not enough to be just a gym with a vast schedule of classes and challenging workouts. At CrossFit Oxnard, we build lifestyles. We lead by example and own a standard of excellence with passion and hard work. We choose to see people are their best and help build their own dream lifestyle. Each journey is unique.
Our 5 IMMUTABLE values –
These are our ideals that will be apparent EVERY time you walk through our doors
1) Create WOW with professional coaching
2) Create a positive community and family spirit
3) Create fun (and a little weirdness)
4) Pursue growth and learning
5) BE HUMBLE
InternshipPart Time CoachFull Time Coach
CFOx Instructor Training Program (ITP)
While there are definite requirements to get into the program, the only real “structure” you will find in the program is the progress timeline. This is in place to keep you moving forward so that we know that as a member of the ITP you are committed to becoming an instructor. Other than that, there are very few “handles” to keep you on track. We are only looking for those people that are responsible, self-starters, motivated, and who don’t need hand-holding to keep them on the path.
To become an instructor via our program, the only requirements are to pass the written and practical exercises for each level. We have designed the program to be completed in as little as 3 months and as long as 12 months. The speed at which you move through the program will be determined by your background, experience and diligence in practice and execution.
CFOx ITP Entry Requirements
- Have a BARE minimum of ONE YEAR of CrossFit experience. A huge amount of the coaching process is learned by our own experiences, and being able to relay not just what the movement is, but how it feels.
- Be a good standing member of CFOx for at least three months. We want people to know you, to see your abilities, and see how you ‘vibe’ with the community and current coaching staff.
- Write a “Letter of Intent” – This letter/essay does not need to be long, but it should be from the heart. This IS a requirement, and may be used to determine your eligibility for participation in the program. This MUST be completed before starting any other portion. There are no specific parameters to this letter, but at a minimum:- What does CF mean to you?
– Why do you want to be an instructor?
– Why would someone want you to be their coach?
– What is your background (include all): education, profession, sports, and fitness?
– What are your strengths & weaknesses?
- Attain your CrossFit Level I Coaching certification, or show proof of a reserved status of the course within the next three months.
The CFOx ITP is broken into four phases:
- Shadow and participate in 20 hours of group classes
- Written homework
- 30 hours of assistant coaching CrossFit classes
- Written test
After each phase the Potential Coach will have an assessment meeting with the Director of Operations/Head Coach to review their performance, and will be given valuable feedback on how to improve for the next session. We expect the potential coach to take all advice seriously and to demonstrate constant improvement from session to session.
Not Now – The Director of Operations/Head Coach may wish to stop the CFOx ITP at this time.
Continue – The potential coach will continue with the next phase of theCFOx ITP; continuing to improve and learn about the coaching standards.
Offer Probationary Coach Position – The head coach may wish to stop the CFOx ITP at this time and offer the potential coach a position as an probationary coach. A probationary coach must coach 80 group classes on their own before being considered for a permanent position on the coaching staff.
Below are the evaluation criteria for the potential coach:
Presence and Attitude
Seeing and Correcting static positions and dynamic movement
Educating and Inspiring the participants
CrossFit Methodology – interns will be required to read articles from the CrossFit Journal, and present the topics to a panel of coaches during monthly team meetings
- Coach Group Classes
- Fullfill Opening/Close Procedures
- Attend & Assist, Promote Community Events
- Execute Strategic Marketing Initiatives
- Develop Content for Website/Social Media
- Be Active on Social Media/SugarWOD
- Other Duties as Assigned
Time Commitment/Work Schedule
Assistant Coaches help us fill in gaps in our schedule and assist in our larger group classes. Their primary role is to focus on new athletes and help the lead coach execute a fun, efficient, and safe experience for our members. Assistant Coaches work 5-15 hours per week in group classes.
Per class $20-$25 dependent on experience.
- Flexible Work Environment
- Gym Membership
- Free gear and gym events (case by case basis)
- Merchandise Discounts
- Continued Education Credits ($1 per hour coached)
Experience & Education
- 1 year of coaching at a licensed CrossFit Affiliate
- CrossFit Level 1
- CPR Certification (within 30 days of hire date)
- If under 1 year coaching at a licensed affiliate, check out our internship program.
Send a copy of your resume, cover letter and any other pertinent information to email@example.com with subject line: “Position Name @ CrossFit Oxnard”.